Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Gaffney Parade

It has been a long, long time since I have seen a parade like the one we watched in Gaffney, SC when we were there.  And it was almost an accident that we saw it.  Remember that we had Jake with us....not much you can do when you have a dog so we ate motel food in our room for breakfast and decided to take Jake to a park....the only thing on this trip that he liked.

As it turned out, the park where we headed was right on the parade route and they were lining up!  Hooray for us!  We walked a few blocks trying to determine the route and where we should watch from.  We didn't think to take our chairs because we were just exploring the area.  We found a place to stand in the shade of a tree and about 15 minutes later the Best Parade Ever began.

First in line were the motorcycles.  Big mistake.  Jake was so scared of the horrid noise I was afraid he would bolt.  But instead he sat like a good boy and quaked and quivered.  (He even turned his back to them!)  Poor thing.  After that he just couldn't enjoy himself but we sure did.  We saw soldiers, tiny princesses, marching bands, fire trucks, stage coaches, tractors, hillbillies and the mayor waved to US!

Here are a few pictures.  More to come.  It truly was the Best Parade Ever!

I was so touched seeing the young Army guys!  These guys posed for me - I wanted to hug them - but I didn't!

Jake was having a good time until the Harley's arrived.  Notice not many people on the street yet...we were early.

This just looked like pure American to me.  By the end of the parade this veranda was full of people and there was food all over the place.  I really wanted to join them!  (Most of the homes on this street were lovely like this one)

The Best Parade Ever was about to begin - look at the people now!

And this is what ruined it all for poor Jake.
More to come.................

2 comments:

  1. I love a parade. You presented this one well and I had a good time "watching" it pass by. Thanks.

    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should have hugged the soldiers! Nice pictures. This parade reminds me of the Urbana oyster festival parade last fall. Mollie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you taking a minute to comment on my blog! It means a lot to me!