Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bardstown and Beam

Our first full day in Bardstown - Pure fun and adventure!  We HAD to explore the cemetery right across the street from our little cottage.
Located on the same grounds as the cemetery is this really, really old school house and now I can't remember the dates.  I thought I had a picture of the sign but I don't so maybe one of my good friends will leave a comment and give the dates.  Please??

The roof was just all moss. (enlarge to enjoy)  And no, I did not get a picture of a ghost!  Unless that is what I see in the window!  There were people out there with cameras trying to get pictures of ghosts.  Mine was in the house we stayed in.  Sweet.
I know this has been helped along with the dates, but it is still real and the dates are correct. Lt. John Fitch.

I sort of have an obsession with cemeteries I guess. I just love them.  Isn't this picture lovely?  With the vines growing all over the stones?  Gotta love it!

And then it was on to Jim Beam - our first distillery!  It was also the largest but it's tours weren't necessarily the best.
You would not believe the way the warehouses smelled!  It was devine!  And I don't even like bourbon.  It was just a nice sweet smell and I loved it!!  We all did!
Here is Heather at the Four Roses main offices.  We thought it was going to be the distillery but we were fooled.  But we did get to go to the gift shop!  ( I collected a bourbon glass and a shot glass at each distillery)
Lunch was at the Old Talbott Tavern and Inn.  The reviews weren't very good but it was in the right place at the right time so we decided to give it a try.  It was good!  Not wonderful but good and the place was full of history!

"Talbott Tavern is said to be the oldest western stagecoach stop in America as the westward expansion brought explorers from the east into Kentucky.


According to legend, figures straight from the history books sought lodging here during their travels; as a young boy Abraham Lincoln and his family stayed here, Gen. George Rogers Clark, Daniel Boone, and exiled French King Louis Phillipe and his entourage stayed here, even painting murals on the upstairs walls. There are noticeable bullet holes in the now faded paintings and Jesse James is said to be responsible for them."

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've mentioned that I'm enjoying your vacation. Well I am. (Love that picture of Heather, did she empty that barrel before she crafted it into lawn furniture? She's so crafty like that!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh Suz - such a great post! Good info - awesome job on remembering stuff!! So much fun :) Love ya girl!
    Ha ha - nope I didn't make that and wait til you see the Wild Turkey ride :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you taking a minute to comment on my blog! It means a lot to me!