Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day at Buck Hall Recreation Center

What to do to celebrate Father's Day?  Unless your family has a set tradition, it seems that each year you search for something new and exciting (or relaxing) for the Father's in your family.  This year we decided to take the men on a Breakfast Picnic!  OK, we probably picked this because it is my favorite thing in the world to do!  Kirby and I have been doing breakfast picnics for years.  I think we must be getting it perfected because this was a really good one!

We arrived at Buck Hall around 8:30 - 8:45 this morning and were the only people there.  Who else goes for a picnic at that hour, right?  The sun was shining and there was a gentle breeze  - but not enough to get rid of the mosquitoes so we applied some "bug juice" and Kirby fogged the area.  Of course we had selected the prime place in the park.  In the center of the big trees and near the water so we could watch the boats travel the Intracoastal Waterway.  We were still unpacking our gear when the Shumbies arrived - our daughter, Christie, her husband, Michael, grandson, Brendan and Jakes two best friends - Socks and Lacey.

Kirby got busy right away and started the grill for the Jimmy Dean Sausage we had brought to go with the English Muffins - really yummy stuff!
Doesn't that sandwich look good?  We had a great fresh fruit salad and tomatoes from Kirby's vines also.  Oh, and chips and dip too....we should never have eaten that!
I had fun watching these young boys 'crabbing'.  They were doing quite well and having a good time too!  Just look at the blue crab they had!
There was boat traffic to watch -


And dogs that took a dip in the water -
When other people finally began to show up, they brought another yellow dog.  Now there were four and it was almost impossible to know which was which.  They all had such a good time and loved playing fetch together.
I think the 'Fathers' had a very good day - I know I sure did!

1 comment:

Thank you taking a minute to comment on my blog! It means a lot to me!