 |
| Male Painted Bunting |
I will apologize right now for the fact that these are not my pictures. (can you believe that??) But we had a visit from two Painted Buntings today and I spent my time looking at them and not running for the camera. The first one appeared on our bird bath and I immediately knew it was a male Painted Bunting. Having seen them only in books before I couldn't believe my luck! But I had to refer to my Peterson guide to determine for certain that the second bird was indeed the "wife". Her color was almost parakeet green. I hope they decide to settle here for a while and I get to see them again!!
UPDATE: Almost a year later, we had another Painted Bunting visitor and this time I DID get a picture. Nothing of the quality of these but check out this beauty! Click on "check out this beauty".
 |
| Female Painted Bunting |
This is what Wikipedia says - The male Painted Bunting is often described as the most beautiful
bird in
North America. Its beautiful colors, dark blue head, green back, red rump and underparts, make it easy to identify, but is very difficult to spot since it hides in foliage even when it is singing. The plumage of
female and juvenile Painted Buntings is green and yellow-green, serving as camouflage.
i love the painted bunting pics! I've never seen one of a female before
ReplyDelete